As I typed THE END on my 13th book written, with 8 published and a scheduled number to be released in 2018, I took a moment to reflect.
Things I’ve researched in 2017 for books I’ve written:
* Is pepper spray (OC spray) legal in Western Australia
* How does SIDE (School of Isolated and Distance Education) work
* Do Brahman bulls have noticeably large testicles
* How are feral dogs neutered in the outback (or not)
* What happens when you fracture your tibia and fibula into several pieces (ouch)
* Can I put a live horse on a theatre stage and get away with it
* Will a soldier get neck strain if he or she is carrying 60 - 100 lbs of gear in combat mode (duh – but I had to check the specifics)
* What is karma (It’s not what you might think)
* What time is it in Texas if it’s 6 am in Arizona
* How to put a roof on a hacienda
* How do you play Poker
* If your nasty, criminally intent business partner choked on a chunk of pineapple, how long would it take him to die
And just recently:
* What might be a debt of honour for services rendered under certain circumstances that not only pull a person out of their comfort zone, but place them in the firing line for everything they don't want or had never expected to happen (this is my current research workload)
* How would a dysfunctional but prosperous Australian family manage if it all went awry business-wise and financially within their long-upheld and given status of being top dogs in a highly regarded small but world-wide renown and ingenious fish pond (I don't have all the answers to this one yet, but I'll be looking for them in 2018)
I’m so looking forward to 2018 and my continuance of unusual but necessary Googling.
#Fiction - the alternative to real life.
Whether it's a good alternative or a shocking alternative, it makes us think.
I hope you got lots of books for Christmas.
Jennie Jones is a bestselling Australian author with eight published novels to date and four due to be released in 2018 with Harlequin/Harper Collins Australia and Tule Publishing. You can find and follow Jennie on her Facebook page.
Photo credit: Gaelle Marcel
"We may not have everything in life we want but at least we can have it all in a book." ~ Jennie Jones